Monday, November 24, 2008

Introspection

On 17th August 2002 I wrote-
Thank god! Thank you very much!16th August was my birthday and it came to me with a beautiful gift. The gift that was the need of this hour for me. I got a new job. Thank god!

(I was given pink slip on just 31st of July 2002 by my American employer.)

On 28th June 2003 I wrote-
What is it that is stopping me from achieving my goals? That’s where I left my thought process last time. Firstly, I guess I lack perseverance. Secondly I am easily swayed by glitter. I need to maintain consistency of life and be disciplined.

Fellow toastmasters, honorable guests and toastmaster of the day, these are few excerpts from my personal journal. Or may be these are the excerpts from my famed autobiography to be published in the year 2020. Habit of writing daily journal has given me clarity of thoughts and a friend with whom I can share anything and everything.

Whatever may be the state of my mind– jubilant, tormented or puzzled, I always have my best friend to share my thoughts with. Almost daily I sit down and write my thoughts, observations or strategies and summarize my day. I write what I feel like, whatever is going in my mind. Writing crystallizes my ideas, gives direction to my conflicting mind by breaking my thoughts into pieces, which generally evaporate when I think without writing. I feel fresh and lighthearted after I sit down with my pen and notebook toiling with my conscience and seeking answers, writing till my fingers are tired, which are swifter on computer these days.

I reason with my conscience. Keep asking questions and getting right answers which I won’t even give heed generally. It is always a very personal interaction, a one to one candid talk. Some of my experienced friends say if you do it over a glass of wine it can be even more candid.

When I read what I have written since two year back, I observe a transition in my thought process. Often I laugh at how petty matters confused me and at times feel proud for my mature behaviour.

On 1st May 2004 My journal says

Life is taking swift turns as I am understanding life even better. With a new insight I need to look at things with new vision and implement what I have learnt so far. I guess discipline makes a difference. It guides us when we are disoriented. Everyone loves to live in luxury. Current gratification always surpasses other priorities. At this moment discipline guides us to do right things and chose priorities.

I confess no one has helped me more than these notebooks. This habit has given me a friend not only at times of dismay but even to share my bliss. There is no ego or time crisis. Neither, I get a big lecture on how I should lead my life. I just have to express myself honestly and I get an honest partnership in return.

I thank my lovely friend Tamara Mai who bestowed me this magical art of writing down my thoughts three years back. Even now she keeps a tab on me and ensures that I am writing my journal everyday.

There are several tools for writing journal. Technology has made writing journal more enjoyable, easier and faster. Most of the people maintain personal journal which can be a simple notebook or in electronic form. I personally prefer to sit with a pen and my note book and write and write and write.

Today I urge you to embrace this habit of great people like Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi and Hemanshu Joshi. And don’t forget to mention my name in the introduction

Fellow toastmasters, whether or not you get to read millionth copy of my autobiography, I shall certainly look forward to read yours. This is one habit you can depend upon at anytime of the life.

No comments: